- NZ Confiscation: 19,837, 9/13/2019
- New Zealand “Buyback” Report: Preliminary August Numbers, 8/30/2019; “about 15,000”
- New Zealand Confiscation Update, 8/12/2019; 10,242
- Guess the number of NZ guns affected by the confiscation law, 7/27/2019; 3,275
As of September 25, 2019:
- 24,073 firearms
- NZ$45.8 million paid out; averaging NZ$2,053 per firearm
- 3,126 E-Cat MSSAs turned in
Not so fast. 24,073 is the total turned in. 1,763 of those aren’t even prohibited, and they may not have been paid for. The number of banned firearms is 22,310.
Now that I’m getting more specific data, I can do better compliance estimates. The most recent government estimate of the number of affected firearms is 240,000.
That means that with less than three months to go, they have an overall 9.3% compliance rate. Continue reading